Monday, March 30, 2020


1966 Mustang 

This is NOT a restoration! 


I bought this '66 coupe from a friend of mine for my son's first car. I have some improvements in mind for safety, comfort, and drive-ability that can bring the car up to a daily driver status. My intention is to do the things needed and not turn this into a restoration! (spoiler alert - yeah, right) I wanted to share all this since we are all stuck at home due to COVID-19 when I made this page and worked on the car.

Interior. Note my sneaky Challenger photo bombing...

The Car

Car seems to be a base model V-8. 
  • 289 CI engine
  • 3 speed manual transmission
  • Manual steering
  • 4 wheel, manual brakes
  • Single bowl master cylinder
  • No AC
  • Bench front seat

Based on receipts that came with the car it was restored in 2012. It has less than 13,000 miles on it since. New long block, interior work, routine maintenance for this type of overhaul. It was kept very original. Other than the problem with the seat upholstery and floor pans (lost more on that later) the interior is great.

Engine has an aluminum radiator, electric fan, headers, and a very new alternator. There's something draining the battery if the car sits for a few days. 

Initial Improvement & Repair List

Missing paint on front and sneaky Challenger again...
I'm a resto mod kind of guy. Before my son is going to drive this car there's some things that need to be done.
  • Front Disc brakes
  • Dual bowl master cylinder with a proportioning valve
  • Power Steering
  • AC
  • High back seats (add headrests? or ditch the bench seat?)
  • New seat belts. The current lap belt only isn't good enough.
  • The front floor pans are rusted through and need replacement.
  • Paint - car sat under a tree or something and has little spots of rust here and there. Nothing serious, but getting painted.
  • Wheels - 15" Magnum 500's with rust spots. I will get those refinished and put them on my '69 Mach I. I have something else to use on this car that I will share later.

Additional things we learned after driving the car

  • Exhaust leak on the left side of the engine.
  • Burning a little bit of oil.
  • Brake lights and turn signals don't work.

2 comments: